Search This Blog

Monday, July 15, 2013

"Subject: Smile, you're on 'Candid Google'!



The following story appeared in the "Bulletin Board" section of the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Sunday July 14th, 2013. It was written by my wife, Jane Baltes after a trip to the east coast. Being my fathers son I love to pull a practical joke on people every now and then.

'Google Earth's got a satellite out there now. I'm watching, and it's right over your house!'

Pioneer Press

Updated: 07/13/2013 06:20:31 PM CDT


Reports The MOM in Stillwater: "Subject: Smile, you're on 'Candid Google'!
"On an impulse, my husband, Jon, and I took a whirlwind road trip last week to New Hampshire, to visit with old friends who have the summer off.
"En route, we stopped in Foxboro, Mass., to see my old roommate Barbara and her husband, Paul. We actually dropped in on them unannounced. My husband wanted to pull a practical joke and didn't want me to call to say that we were briefly stopping in. I was worried they wouldn't be home, but they were.
"Here's the scene: We parked across the street and one house up on their woodsy street, where we could see the house but they didn't see us. My husband called from the car, pretending he was home on his computer. He told Paul that Google Earth  had a live-feed satellite the Boston area, and he was pretty sure they were on his street. 'As a matter of fact, I see your house. I am almost positive that is your house!' Then he asked Paul to step outside, and he would see if that was their house in the shot. 'Are you wearing a black shirt and tan shorts and just socks?' Paul affirmed he was. 'Look up and wave at the satellite,' instructed my husband. Paul complied. While this was going on, I was under 'orders' not to talk.
"Meanwhile, a watchful neighbor approached our car and asked if we needed help. I shook my head no and waved him off, not realizing he thought we were up to no good. Unknown to us the neighbor returned to his house and phoned the local police thinking we were some kind of stalkers or something.
As Jon continued to talk to Paul on the phone he slowly began to drive down the street towards the victims house. Meanwhile Paul continued to wave at the nonexistent satellite in the sky. As we entered Paul's driveway, he turned and looked at us, mouth wide open and unable to speak. The look on his face was impossible to describe. After a few moments a Foxboro police officer arrived on the scene to investigate the situation.
"Paul laughed and assured the police we were friends from Minnesota. Then he expressed regret that he hadn't said: 'I've never seen these people in my life.'

"Now Jon will have to wait and watch for the reciprocal stunt. Boys will be boys, even when they are on Social Security." 

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Stillwater, Minnesota, United States
"IF THERE WERE NO GOD, THERE WOULD BE NO ATHEISTS" G.K. Chesterton